Monday, February 2, 2009

A Milestone in Our Marriage

For the first time in more than six years of marriage, Sarah made me sleep on the couch.

Okay, it's not nearly as juicy as it sounds, and I'm not divulging any gossip that should stay within the confines of our relationship (Who do you think I am, Joe Torre?)  The truth of the matter is my chest cold (which might be croup or an upper respiratory infection or bronchitis or pneumonia for all I know) not only made it impossible for me to sleep, but my constant coughing, hacking, and wheezing accompanied with tossing and turning made it impossible for my wife to fall asleep. My poor wife, who had three hours of sleep the night before trying to take care of her two sick kids and sick husband, very lovingly suggested that I consider sleeping in the living room on the couch at around 1 in the morning. I was still awake unable to sleep anyway, so I didn't object.

So I stumbled down the stairs and I think I probably managed to get a few hours of shut eye. I need to find a way that I can sleep while standing up where I have less difficulty breathing. Either that or I need to get equine-strength night-time medicine. If I find myself on the couch again tonight, I might as well catch some Letterman and Conan.

No comments: