Tuesday, February 3, 2009

And This Was the Less Painful Alternative?

A cringe-inducing health article from the Associated Press announced that surgeons had removed a woman's kidney through her vagina in an innovative procedure which will reduce pain, scarring, and recovery time.

The patient, Kimberly Johnson said "It was easier than childbirth," which immediately led to these two reactions from me:
  1. I am very grateful for my wife for bearing and birthing our two kids.
  2. "It was easier than childbirth" is right up there with saying "It was more exciting than watching paint dry."  Not exactly an overwhelming endorsement.
It might very well be innovative and a great advance in surgical technology, but if the choice is ever given to me to remove my appendix through my rectum, I'll take the scalpel and the old-fashioned procedure, please.

No comments: