Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Pooh Returns to the Quakers

As a Penn alum I'm happy to hear that former star guard Jerome Allen has returned to the Penn Quakers basketball team as an assistant coach. "Pooh" (his nickname in Philly hoops circles) provided me with the rare treat of an Ivy League athletic team that had national relevance, leading the Quakers to consecutive NCAA tournaments and a tournament win against an Erik Piatkowski-led Nebraska team, in which Jerome memorably broke the ankles of a poor Nebraska defender in a fast break after a turnover (if it didn't make the "One Shining Moment" highlight video, it should have).

I'm also hoping that his addition to the Penn coaching staff will somehow get the team back to where it once was. What can I say? I was spoiled by being there when the team would routinely win the league and get our ticket to the Big Dance (the fact that we usually got bounced in the first round, notwithstanding). I've already vented about the misfortunes of Penn men's basketball in a previous post, so I'll leave it at that.

No, I never had a class with Jerome (he graduated a year ahead of me), but I did manage to shake his hand as he walked off Franklin Field during graduation. It was a brief, but moving exchange - a completely random encounter as I was walking over to congratulate some of my newly graduated friends.

Me: Congratulations, Jerome. (extending hand, but continuing to walk towards my buddies)
Jerome Allen: Thanks, man. (taking my hand and shaking it, while continuing to walk away)

I remember it like it was yesterday.

No comments: