Tuesday, January 18, 2011

More Bad News for this LJS Junkie

In a personally bummer of a news flash for me, a recent report emerged that consumption of fried fish might be the culprit in significantly higher stroke rates in a region of coastal regions in American southeastern states. I've spoken in the past about my love for fried seafood chain Long John Silver's, and clearly I'd prefer not to jeopardize my life with an arterial blockage. Apparently, my lame claim that fried fish is still relatively healthy (omega-3 fatty acids, eat fish twice a week!) is more than offset by the high levels of fat, sodium and the actual reduction of omega-3 fatty acids when you fry the fish. Who knew?

Seems sort of funny to pick on fried fish, though. Is that really much more unhealthy than that Waffle House or Shoney restaurants that are scattered across the same region? Can people seriously tell me that hash browns scattered, smothered and covered for breakfast regularly is good for you? How about the Farmer's Breakfast specials? How about that same region's love for SEC football?

But the facts are the facts, I will sadly limit my intake to going to LJS a mere once every two weeks, which means I have some catching up to do to meet quota.

No comments: