Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Laughing at Death

During our family summer vacation, we stopped by Connecticut and spent some time with family. While there, we decided to visit the grave of Sarah's grandmother (or halmuni for those of you who are proficient in Korean) to pay our respects. The morning before we were make our visit, I told Daniel and Sophia about our plans and Daniel's somewhat unconventional response to hearing about visiting the cemetery was "Awesome!" and "This is going to be great!"

That reaction wasn't quite what I was expecting. I probably anticipated a degree of fear - I can see why it's pretty spooky to walk in a field where scores of bodies are interred; or boredom - I'd appreciate that paying respects for a great-grandmother who you barely remember somewhat pales with a trip to the pool. Nevertheless, the reaction wasn't outright disrespectful, so I let it slide.

The visit to the gravesite went okay for the most part, and it did give me a glimpse of why the kids were so enthused. The kids did pay their respects, but the little explorer in Daniel soon had him walking around the cemetery screaming questions across the field, "Daddy, what's this?" or "Daddy, why is this one so big?" That wasn't as bad as Sophia, who instead of feeding her inquisitiveness by asking questions, just brazenly started collecting rosaries and other gifts left at grave sites by loved ones. Mortified, Sarah and I quickly put a stop to that and made sure everything was put back to place.

I was predictably more solemn in my attitude during my visit. I did look around a little but it was with sadness, especially as I observed family plots where one spouse had departed, leaving a second unfilled plot which the surviving spouse would put to use some day. I sadly looked at gravestones of people who died far too young, including one of a 14-year-old boy, and wondered aloud what tragedy ended that life so soon.

While I don't think Daniel comprehends the gravity of death at all, I wonder if he's (by ignorance as opposed to understanding) actually reflects an right attitude towards death under the promise of 1 Corinthians 15:54-57:
When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory."
"Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?" The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
The point isn't that death isn't tragic. We understandably and rightfully mourn and grieve over the departure of loved ones, and there's an element of sadness about leaving those behind when our time on earth ends - particularly if our time comes somewhat unexpectedly leaving our loved ones somewhat unprepared. I think the point is that for those who have put their trust in Christ, there need not be fear of nothingness, or worse, condemnation when death arrives.

Again, I'm pretty sure that assurance of the hope of resurrection in Jesus Christ isn't currently the driving force behind Daniel's laughter at death. I'm hoping that there comes a day where it is. Heck, I'm hoping there comes a day where I can fully appreciate that, too.

No comments: