Thursday, September 23, 2010

It Sure Beats Giving Kids Paxil

A new study outlined in a US News article suggests that a great way for kids to reduce stress during school is to walk to school. It seems to make sense to me, and I can attest to a similar phenomena when I walk to crosstown to my office from the train station.

In addition to the obvious cardiovascular benefits, I think emotionally there's something healthy about a sense that you're somewhat voluntary marching into a place (of some aversion) as opposed to being transported like pigs on death train to the slaughterhouse. There's a sense of power and self-determination which is mentally healthy as you set the pace and the route of how you want to get to school or work.

What's most meaningful to me is the "mental relaxation" that I go through during my walk before work. I like the fact that I'm not jammed with other people like cattle in a smelly subway car, while hearing grumblings and mumblings of their workdays ahead. Instead, I take in the clean city air... well, maybe not, but I take in the fresher air above ground and walk, taking in a mini-tour of Midtown while I think, pray or meditate about my day ahead, my life and envision "good" outcomes whatever that might look like. I think I also get a sense of appreciation and enjoyment of being alive, somehow, to see and hear everything around me.

I can't completely explain the phenomena of why I find that walking before work (and school) is effective. I suggest it has something to do with my ability to see the vastness and activity of the city (and by extension, the world) and recognizing that if I truly appreciate that I'm in relationship with a sovereign God who is in control of all of this, then I'm in good hands. It certainly goes beyond the fact that I'm saving myself $2.25 each time I do it.

No comments: