Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Changes at the Speed of Life

I've bit on a bit of a sabbatical from blogging due to a number of life changes. For those of you who aren't tied into the details of our family life, we recently moved into our new home after a three month layover at my parents' place (major life change #1) and then we followed that off by welcoming our third child, a little girl (major life change #2). Both of these events were positive, even joyous, to be sure. But they've physically and emotionally have put us through the ringer.

My employer (by policy) and boss (through his support) have enabled me to take a couple of weeks of paternity leave, which predictably have been exhausting while punctuated with occasional moments of "that's a precious father-child moment"... which usually was quickly washed away by a fight between or meltdown by one of my kids. My role has primarily been to stay-at-home parent our two older children while my wife gives full attention to the baby. I've taken the role seriously, whipping up a schedule on Excel which specifically defines what me, my son and my daughter will be doing each 30 minute increment - and not surprisingly, my planning has been shot to pieces, though I've managed some organization and routine of wake up, meal, change, "work", "fun", etc.

I could tell you that I have a newfound appreciation for stay-at-home parents - but I never assumed that my weeks on leave would be a vacation or sabbatical. I knew from the get go that my time at home would be more exhausting than my time at work - and bingo, I'm truly exhausted. It has, however, also made me recognize that a stay-at-home parent has a front-row seat to the lives of their kids, which is both exhilarating and a burden. Are there precious moments which only a stay-at-home parent is privy to? Yes. But my wife doesn't have the "luxury" of blissful ignorance that I do. She is aware of and must be sensitive to every action, spoken word, and incident that our kids encounter - and has to determine the right parental action or response, if any. Or put another way, while I fret upon upcoming deadlines and office politics in the 75% of my waking hours, my wife is spending equal time considering far more important topic of the trajectory of our kids' lives. I am deeply grateful for my wife.

In a few weeks, I'll end up returning to work and Sarah will resume her role, flying solo. Between our baby and our new home, we've been able to experience first hand the volatility of life. Our pastor recently talked about the importance of being grounded spiritually in Christ, so that circumstances don't have the effect of tossing you to and fro. We've had good practice going through some life changes which have been largely "good", so hopefully when trials and difficulties strike, we'll be duly prepared.

No comments: