Friday, January 29, 2010

Hoping for Good Super Bowl Commercials

Notwithstanding ESPN columnist Bill Simmons' belief that any of the Super Bowl possible matchups given the final four teams in the playoffs would've made for an intriguing matchup, I'm personally lukewarm around the upcoming Colts vs. Saints Super Bowl.

This past October, I had the chance to witness a World Series where two of my favorite teams got to play each other, thus limiting the "downside" of seeing a team I detest win the championship. The Super Bowl matchup is similar in that I really don't dislike either team that much so I won't mind either team winning. But unlike the World Series matchup, I don't particularly have strong positive feelings for either team either, so either team's victory won't excite me much.

The Colts on one hand, are a classy organization. I think Peyton Manning's a funny guy who can even be a little self-effacing in his humor (his SNL "United Way" skit which pokes fun at his "good guy" image is classic), Coach Caldwell is a classy man who's cut from the same faith and integrity cloth as his mentor, Tony Dungy. There's no obnoxious jerk that on the team, at least not one that I'm aware of (I hated Super Bowl XXXVII, when the Bucs had Warren Sapp and the Raiders had Bill Romanowski). Plus, fans of the New England Patriots detest Peyton Manning and the Colts, and given the New York vs. Boston sports rivalry, there's the "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" logic.

On the other side, you have the Saints, a long-suffering franchise famous for fans wearing paper bags over their heads and the nickname, the "'Aints". You'd like to see the city have something to rally around after Hurricane Katrina. There's a great backstory around linebacker Scott Fujita the caucasian son of Japanese-American adoptees who has very much embraced his heritage. I'm a big Bobby Jindal fan, even though Mitch Daniels from Indiana seems like a good guy, as well. The Saints are largely a team of classy players like the Colts. However, they do have Jeremy Shockey. Edge, Colts.

Without a strong rooting interest in either team, I'll just hope for a good (competitive) game, good guacamole and wings, and good commercials.

No comments: