Wednesday, October 7, 2009

2009 Fall Classic Musings

A few musings as we enter my favorite sports-related event of the year - the MLB playoffs:
  • What an amazing play-in game that saw the Twins outlast the Tigers. As a Yankees fan, I'm relieved that we don't have to play the Tigers in a short series. The thought of having to face Justin Verlander twice in a short-series scared the heck out of me, and Rick Porcello and Edwin Jackson are darned good, too. Contrast that with the Twins, whose best starting pitcher is... who?
  • That being said, the Twins are dangerous - one of those teams that seem to play smart, fundamental baseball. They have the best player in baseball this side of Albert Pujols, and if they have a lead, their bullpen can be pretty lethal, especially with Joe Nathan shutting the door. In addition, there's the Metrodome "mystique" - the Twins are tough to play there, and I can see how slaying the mighty Yankees in its final baseball season would be fitting.
  • The Phillies look pretty good going into the playoffs with Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels slated to start the first two games, and also caught a break when 16-game winning presumptive Rockies' Game 3 starter Jorge De La Rosa was declared out for the NLDS. The Phils better hope that their offense behind Ryan Howard and Chase Utley provide fat leads going into the later innings, because that bullpen is looking less dependable than a 1980's American car.
  • I can't think of a team which does not have home-field advantage to be more favored than the Cardinals. They have the best player in baseball in Albert Pujols and the best 1-2 starting tandem in Chris Carpenter and Adam Wainwright. Well, at least Joe Torre is somewhat used to losing in the first round of the playoffs (not that I'm a bitter Yankee fan or anything).
  • Despite history not being on my side, I'm pleading for the Angels to knock out the Red Sox. Of course I'm pulling for the Yankees to win it all, but please, anyone but the Red Sox.
Here are my predictions (yeah, these don't jibe with my preseason picks, but leave me alone):

NL: Phillies over Rockies, Cardinals over Dodgers, Cardinals over Phillies
AL: Yankees over Twins, Red Sox over Angels, Yankees over Red Sox (gulp)
World Series: Yankees over Cardinals

No comments: