Monday, December 29, 2008

Faith and Africa

I read a couple of fascinating articles about faith and Africa today, one which was forwarded over to me from my pastor and friend, the other which I stumbled upon while looking through the New York Times online. The articles don't necessarily contradict each other, but one focuses on Africa being an exporter of faith, and the other being an appeal for Africa's need for God.

The first is an interesting column by Times Online writer Matthew Parris, who states plainly that "As an atheist, I truly believe Africa needs God." That seems paradoxical doesn't it? But on the surface this could easily be addressed by a supposition that while the concept of God is mythical, the zeal that (albeit misinformed) Christians bring to the table in terms of their charitable works. The argument goes, let the Christians believe in the tooth-fairly if they want to, the important thing is that their belief system is spurring them to care for poor and needy people.

But surprisingly, it's the atheist, Parris, who debunks that very argument. He states, "Faith does more than support the missionary; it is also transferred to his flock. This is the effect that matters so immensely, and which I cannot help observing." He goes on to observe, "their faith appeared to have liberated and relaxed them. There was a liveliness, a curiosity, an engagement with the world - a directness in their dealings with others."

As a Christian, there might be a temptation of pompous reactions such, "Of course, Matthew. Why would you expect anything less from Christians who have received such amazing grace from God?" I'm actually more humbled and challenged - because I'm both convicted and concerned that an objective observer, like a Matthew Parris, could watch me for weeks and not see the same characteristics as was seen in my breathren in Africa. So the questions I ask myself are: Does this faith of mine tranfer to my flock, my family, or at least those under my care at church? Has my faith liberated me from the anxieties of the rat-race, parenting and the financial crisis?

As for Matthew Parris, it's amazing how he captures and appreciates much of the power of the Christian faith. He is eloquent in differentiating the results of that faith with those of well-intentioned humanism and even the fruits of faith from faith itself. I only wonder if he lacks the critical link that the Christian faith is not an optimal human philosophical contruct, but rather something is engendered and cultivated by a God that at present he doesn't believe exists. I hope that those dots are connected in the future.

The other article that I read with great enjoyment was the story of Rev. Chrispin Oneko, a Kenyan priest who tended a flock in Kentucky (after ministering for a short time in Jamaica), reflecting a growing trend of priests from other parts of the world covering the shortage of priests in the United States.

It's simply a wonderful true story of how faith has transcended a myriad of differences and how incarnational ministry really works. It's a story of love received and returned many times over - from an American missionary going to Kenya to a Kenyan missionary going to Kentucky; from a priest caring for a flock to a flock caring for their priest.

I am grateful for brothers like Rev. Oneko. I do find it interesting how seeds planted in the past end up feeding those who had harvested them. Who knows? Someday a young man in Rev. Oneko's church may grow up to find himself a missionary in Africa.

No comments: