Monday, December 8, 2008

At Least It's a Handy Excuse to Be Ornery During the Holidays

A constant refrain that people have heard from me since October is how much I've disliked the weather and the current seasons. I'm of the conviction that unless there's snow falling or on the ground, I'd just as soon the weather be sunny and 70 degrees. I could do without falling leaves, plummeting temperatures, and rain. Like most people, I like long sunny days instead of short overcast ones. I don't like waking up when it's pitch black and coming home when it's pitch black. Does my antipathy for the autumn and (non-snow producing) winter seasons cross the line into being an actual physiological or psychological condition?

A recent article on CNN.com detailed seasonal affective disorder (SAD), which apparently affects 4 to 6% of the population in the U.S. There isn't a lot of research around SAD, but some scientists believe that a genetic mutation in the eye could play a role in seasonal affective disorder, by making a person with SAD less sensitive to light. So as the seasons change brings less light, the depression and mood swings result.

I don't know if I completely understand or even agree with the existence of the condition, but it sure beats "the holiday blues" as an excuse to be a grumpy man. I'll try that the next time I'm ornery towards the wife or kids: "Drat - there's that seasonal affective disorder kickin' in."

No comments: