Monday, November 9, 2009

Complete Transparency Around Stewardship

I read with great interest an article which announced that Norway had acted upon a previously approved law to publicly release the annual income and overall wealth of nearly every taxpayer in that country. Proponents of the new legislation cite its benefit in enhancing transparency, thus promoting an open democracy; another benefit might be the easy identification of tax evaders. Detractors, of course, cite the gross invasion of privacy and the provision of a useful target list for criminals.

Whether or not this should be a legislated practice, I won't say, but I will say that I think there's something healthy about the transparency of how people earn and spend their money within the context of a Christian community. I remember that my friend Andy telling me that while he was living in D.C., the members of his Bible Study agreed to openly share their tax return documents. Why? The members of the group thought it would be a good accountability exercise - to be able to lovingly ask questions and challenge each other around tithing, excessive consumption, saving for a rainy day, and such. I'm sure it takes exemplary relationships forged under faith, love and trust to make sure transparency doesn't lead to unedifying judgment and condemnation rooted in jealousy and envy, or the devaluation of people simply because of the size of one's salary.

Money is a difficult subject to talk about within the walls of a church. I've been to, and am presently going to a church where more than a couple of people are wealthy, including those who serve in leadership positions. I struggle (as someone who also might be deemed as relatively well off) with the "Rich Christians in World of Hunger" dilemma, which essentially begs the question: How can Christians live lives enjoying their expensive houses and luxury cars without even thinking twice about the fact that there are people in the world who lack food and sufficient health care and that there are churches and missionaries desperately trying to reach people for Christ that are starving for funding?

I know all the "right answers", and like a good Presbyterian elder I'd say something around the danger of binding consciences beyond the call of Scripture. I'll also admonish people to do some self-examination around whether they feel that their material possessions and wealth are an idol to them. I'd point them to Scripture around the rich young ruler, and ask if they feel that they, too, could sell all that they have, give to the poor, and follow Christ should that be their calling. These are the same questions I'd ask myself. Perhaps I'll also throw out some strong examples of faithful men and women in the Bible who also had great wealth, but used it in a redemptive way.

But at the end of the day, it is a matter of conscience. But that doesn't mean that the topic should never get preached from the pulpit, and it certainly doesn't mean that it's an off-limits topic for loving challenge to a fellow Christian.

No comments: