Friday, July 24, 2009

Encouraging Childhood Small Business

Last week as I was walking home from my suburban train station after a busy day at work, I had one of those "feel good" moments in the neighborhood.

I was pacing quickly and just passed a young girl, perhaps no older than seven, standing in front of a foldaway table with a pitcher of lemonade. The table had a homemade posterboard sign clearly letting me know that the lemonade was being sold for 25¢ for a cup. A few feet away, the little girl's parents and baby brother sat in lawn chairs enjoying the beautiful 70-degree sunny day.

I had just about passed by when I stopped in my tracks and turned around and slowly walked towards the table. The father, who was acting of something of a spokesperson for his shy daughter, obviously thought he had reeled one in. "Hi! Would you like a cup of lemonade?"

"Sure!" I said, "As I opened my bag and fished for some change."

The little girl proudly said, "It's homemade... and only 25¢."

As I continued to fish for change, the father said, "That's okay, we'll still give you lemonade even if you don't have any money. Right?" turning to his daughter, who nodded her assent.

I objected with mock outrage. "Oh no, if she's going to give me some of that delicious lemonade, she deserves to get fairly paid. Don't you think?"

Her father laughed and said, "I guess you're right."

So taking a dollar from my wallet, I bought a cup of lemonade and the girl, coached by her father, dutifully pushed towards me three quarters.

We exchanged good-byes and I walked away with my cup of lemonade, with just a little more spring in my step. It was a good cup of lemonade that could have used a little more sugar for my taste, but there was something really beautiful that I felt I got to witness. The thought of a family sitting together in the front of their house enjoying the weather while encouraging their daughter in the glorious tradition of sidewalk lemonade sales just made me warm and fuzzy.

The offer to give me lemonade for free was also a really nice touch, and I sensed a powerful coaching moment between father and daughter around generosity and charity (whether the guy wearing the Brooks Brothers shirt deserves charity for 25¢ lemonade is a different story).

Speaking of which, my sardonic sense of humor was smartly suppressed. After the offer for free lemonade, I could have said, "You're going to give it to me for free when I can clearly afford it? That fiscal irresponsibility plus that Prius in your driveway make it obvious that you're Democrats." That surely would've ruined the moment.

But joking aside, the concept of getting something for nothing isn't a Liberal or Democratic Party concept, nor should it be mocked. As Pastor Charlie Drew would say, "getting something for nothing", as ridiculous and even offensive as it sounds, is exactly the point when it comes to the Gospel message of grace given which is unearned and mercy granted which is undeserved.

Thanks for the lemonade, folks.

No comments: