Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Won't Watching the Nets Further Depress You?

In what might be one the more creative crossover promotions I've seen, the New Jersey Nets are providing free tickets to unemployed people who submit their resumes for a career fair to be held in the Izod Center, where the Nets play their home games.

The cynic may remind people that due to the team's planned move to Brooklyn and the departure of two of their biggest stars (Jason Kidd and Richard Jefferson), attendance at Nets games is right up there with attendance to to professional lacrosse.  But it can't be a bad thing to essentially give away tickets that wouldn't have been sold anyway to folks who are out of a job and their families. Four free tickets doesn't account for the $50 in ridiculously priced concessions and the $10 in parking that a family would have to pay (there's no reasonable public transportation to the Izod Center), so it won't be a complete loss for the Nets.  

The question that I have is, if I lost my job, would I want to watch Vince Carter bricking 25 jump shots a game while his overmatched teammates watched in a vain attempt to tank games until LeBron James becomes a free agent in 2011?  I'm not so sure.  Besides, I've had the hot dogs in the Izod Center - they're awful.

No comments: