Friday, November 28, 2008

The Allure and Tragedy of Black Friday

I find it ironic that on the day after we give thanks for all that we have (in the spirit that we are so blessed and ought to be somewhat content in light of so many in this world having less than we do), Americans have created an event which appeals to every materialistic fiber in our body. It is a day which has almost overshadowed the day that precedes it, a day for which people develop strategies in order to get the right parking space in front of the right stores so they can make a beeline to the right aisle. This day is Black Friday.

I didn't realize what a big deal Black Friday was until a few years back. Sarah and I had caught a late night showing of the latest Harry Potter movie while my parents watched Daniel after our family Thanksgiving dinner. As we walked out of the Palisades Center theaters at around 1pm, we walked past a whole line of people in lawn chairs waiting in front of Best Buy. It was surreal. It was only around that time that I realized that there were "doorbuster" discounts that stores were offering between the hours of 6am to 11am, with laptops selling for $300 and cashmere sweaters selling for $20. Naturally, there was a limited supply, so customers were told to get there early, and get there early they did.

The whole concept is both sad and brilliant. It preys on three of people's worst attributes - their competitive spirit, their pride and their greed. In other words, "I'm going to give my brother-in-law a $20 gift that he'll think I spent $100 for, keep or spend the $80 I saved on myself, and nobody's gonna get in my way!" The game show scenario is intoxicating, I'm sure. The door opens and hundreds of contestants fan out to find the treasure.

Lest I stick my chest out as I sit on my high horse, I have to admit that I played the game a little today. No, I didn't camp out in front of the mall or set my alarm for 4am. I did, however, go online last night and find out what was available at Staples, which is only a mile away from our house. A key item on our list - an LCD flat screen monitor - was selling at amazingly low $99, but I refused to go out of my way to seize the deal. So after Daniel work me up at 7am, I gave him breakfast, then drove over to Staples. I walked in and browsed a little, and walked out with the monitor as well as a couple of other items on deep discount.

I just hope that in our zeal for great bargains, we won't start referring to Thanksgiving as the day before Black Friday. Someday, Black Friday Eve (formerly Thanksgiving) may be a banquet where we eat a lot of food to gain energy before the great shopping marathon. What a tragedy it would be if we lost part of our national consciousness in the roar of early Christmas shopping.

And there was a real tragedy today. In Long Island, a Wal-Mart worker was trampled to death by a horde of shoppers waiting to seize on Black Friday discounts. This would be funny if it wasn't so horribly tragic. It's a sad world when getting a Kung-Fu Panda DVD for $5 is worth someone losing his life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm surprised you described competitve spirit as a bad attribute, or were you looking for a tricolon?