Friday, October 3, 2008

The Pit Bull with Lipstick Has a Bite

I watched, with great interest, the debate between Sarah Palin and Joe Biden yesterday, and I have to say I was extremely impressed with Governor Palin's performance.  Apparently the analysts disagree with me, but I think Palin beat Biden.  Consider that the winner of the debate isn't simply about the content of responses to questions, it's about the connection that a ticket makes with undecided voters, and that was clearly a Palin strong point.  I believe that one undecided voter said of Governor Palin, "She's Main Street; she's one of us."

It's unfortunate that Palin has received such negative press that even celebrity Obama-backers like Annette Bening have stated that Hollywood should give Palin more respect.  Palin's been getting it from all sides, from conservative commentators who have called on her to quit, to people like Tina Fey and Chris Rock who skewer her behind a veil of "comedy".  Yeah, I admit that some of that stuff is pretty funny.

I have to say that between the clips that I saw of Katie Couric's interview and some of the other sound bites I've heard of the Republican VP nominee, my psyche was pretty much on end waiting for a spectacular disaster, the way I used to feel when Kyle Farnsworth would take the mound for the Yankees in a close game.

But to my pleasant surprise, Governor Palin was articulate, charismatic, and deft in her handling of some very tough questions.  She also did a wonderful job of connecting with the audience on an emotional level and creating a "we're all common folks in the same boat" vibe better than Joe Biden.  Then again, Senator Biden's "I'm smarter than you and I'll use an hour to explain a concept that can be explained in five minutes" disposition didn't make that all that difficult.

2 comments:

nz said...

I'm not sure people want someone who reminds them that we're all in this "together" ... if "together" means standing toe to toe at the soup line (aka depression days).

I do agree that she sounds like your stereotypical next-door neighbor. But that may not work out well for her ... it has been said of the current president that "he's someone you can sit down with and have a beer", and he's not doing so well in the approval rating.

nz said...

Turns out that not only respect but also fact-checking needs to go the other way as well:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122368132195924869.html