Friday, October 3, 2008

The Fighting Phils and the Curse of the Billy Goat

I'm throwing my support behind the Philadelphia Phillies for the baseball playoffs.  I grew and affinity for the Phils during my four years at Penn, and even got to catch the 1993 NL pennant winning team during my time in Philadelphia.  The energy of this team reminds me of the "Macho Row" team of John Kruk, Darren Daulton, Lenny Dykstra, and Curt Schilling, just minus the heavy drinking and steroids.  Well, that and the fact that they're playing in the beautiful Citizens Bank Park as opposed to that monstrosity formerly called Veterans Stadium.  I'm glad to say that the Phils are firmly in control of their series, going up 2-0 after taking down Brewers ace C.C. Sabathia.

I'll also send my condolences to all you Cubs fans out there. The Curse of the Billy Goat raises its ugly head, and a 99-year old drought will get a year longer.  I had told a number of friends that the Cubs ought to have buried the Brewers in the last week of the regular season, thus opening the door for them to play a terrible Mets team in the first round of the playoffs.  But no, Lou Pinella decided to tank the games and rest his regulars, and the result is that the Cubs had to play a dangerous Dodgers team which is about to knock them out of the playoffs.  So for all of you bitter Mets fans out there, feel a little vindicated.

Naturally, I'm rooting for anyone to beat the Red Sox.  I will be very grateful if any team can silence all those insufferable fans from the Nation. 


No comments: