Friday, September 19, 2008

Patriotism and Racism

I recently read of Dallas Mavericks forward Josh Howard's disrespectful treatment of "The Star-Spangled Banner" during a charity event and what saddened me was both the act itself as well as the response from some people after a clip of his offending comments were posted on YouTube.

Howard states during the playing of the anthem, "'The Star-Spangled Banner' is going on. I don't celebrate this [expletive]. I'm black." I'm not sure if he was trying to make some sort of political statement that the existence of racism, personal and institutional, in this country gives us every reason to disrespect an anthem which represents the country. I'm not sure if he was trying to be funny. But I wish he would recognize that he has greatly benefit from this country which he chooses not to celebrate, as someone who recently signed a 4-year / $40 million contract and enjoys the fruits of a free-market system where we pay outstanding athletes ridiculous amounts of money which dwarf the salaries of teachers, scientific researchers, police officers, and our armed forces. And ironically, the anthem (and nation by association) he doesn't celebrate represents a free society where he can express disdain for his own country without legal repercussion.

As I minority, I recognize that racism still exists in the United States in a number of forms. I believe that there is still a glass ceiling for women and a bamboo ceiling for Asians. In the course of my life, I have been called every racist Asian slur in the book. But I recognize that the life I have been given as an American, with all its warts, is still a privilege to have.  I am proud to be an American, and would like to think I would never show disrespect in the way that Josh Howard has.

Howard's rant also, not surprisingly, exposed that racial relations are still raw underneath a thin surface of calm. Behind the veil of anonymity and cryptic user ID's, words do reveal an undercurrent of distrust, dislike, and anger. Yes, racism is still very much alive.

Here's a comment from one YouTube user, logansGT, in response to the video: "These niggers need to leave the U.S. and go to Africa, sit in a mud hut "crib" and pick lice out of their hair!" This was not an outlier comment.

People like Josh Howard and logansGT are clearly part of the problem. What I will say is that despite the importance of rooting out ignorance, racism is at its heart is not an educational problem but a spiritual one. This is where the power of the Gospel comes in, with the reality that Christ is uniting all things and every tribe under him, and that in terms of discipleship and sonship, He is eliminating the distinctives which divide our human race (Galatians 3). Is the Church doing its part? Can I be doing more?

No comments: