Saturday, September 6, 2008

Big Dogs and Tall Weeds

There are many surprising joys that I encounter as a young father, and one of those things are magical "father to son" moments with my three-year old son, Daniel. You know, "guy to guy" moments which are special because the bond of the gender where I can teach him what it means to be a man. "Peeing" is sort of one of those things, and I find that Daniel now treats it as a competitive sport. So when we pee in the toilet (feel free to stop reading right now if this is completely grossing you out), Daniel will say "I win!" after he finishes. I have no idea what his criteria is, whether it's who started first or who ended first. Personally, I think if there's going to a peeing contest, the only real criteria is how long or how far you can pee.

We went to the mall this afternoon, and I was charged with accompanying Daniel to the bathroom. So despite the bathroom being pretty crowded, we saddle up in adjacent urinals and do our business. Daniel finishes and shouts, "I win!"

I turn to him and shoot back, "Oh yeah? Whose is longer?" ... in front of a bunch of strangers who obviously didn't know I was referring to the length of the "peeing".

Embarassment city.

No comments: