Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Right Kind of Vicarious Living

While on vacation last week, it dawned upon me just how much my enjoyment of activities is tied into the amount of fun that my kids are having. Up to a point, we're very content and happy doing things that we normally would consider boring or a waste of time. The joy comes not from our direct appreciation or stimulation of the activity at hand, but our joy comes from observing the happiness of our children, and that warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that we've done something good which has provided our beloved children a slice of good, clean happiness.

In our trip to Pennsylvania Dutch country last week, I spend a large amount of time walking with my kids hand in hand walking to kiddie rides in a theme park called Dutch Wonderland, which can be best described as DisneyWorld for kids between 3 and 8. In fairness, I like theme parks, but Dutch Wonderland isn't exactly at the top of the list, with rides ranging as tame (or lame) as the coin-operated ones in front of the grocery store to the flagship ride, the Kingdom Coaster, probably comparable with Six Flags Great Adventure's Rolling Thunder. Similarly, the family entertainment wasn't exactly Shakespeare in the Park, with a kid-friendly aquatic diving show with a loose Disney-esque plot of Princesses and Frogs.

But I had a great time, just watching the kids get so excited as they stepped onto new rides or as kiddie shows were just about to start. And the funny thing is that at some point, I think the line between "I'm enjoying myself because you kids are having a great time" and "I'm enjoying myself because I'm enjoying these activities" started to blur, because it really didn't matter. We were spending quality family time and laughing together, with minimal complaints and arguments over which rides to go on next.

I wonder if this is a small projection of God's own character and His love for His people. There are constant biblical references of God delighting and rejoicing over us, and His desire for us to have the full measure of his joy. At the deepest level, this joy is found in relationship with Christ, of course, but I suspect that my own experience sitting on a spinning plastic turtle also provided a glimpse of the kindness and love of a Heavenly Father who lavishes good things to His children. For a sovereign Creator of the universe to care deeply about the joy of His creation is something that's worth reflecting about and being thankful for.

As a father, I'm encouraged by the fact that I had a great time doing something that otherwise I wouldn't enjoy. Insomuch it really isn't the activity but the company, it reinforces that I really do love my kids. Either that, or I haven't quite worked out all of the latent amusement-park-love in my own inner child.