Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Then Again, Marisa Tomei and Three 6 Mafia Won Oscars

In what might be one of the most unlikely accomplishments in the modern age, I got published. That's right, recently I found out that my article "Living the Corporate Life Right" (frankly a thinly veiled testimonial about Synergy Ministries) was in the February Issue of Relevant Magazine, a Christian magazine aimed at Gen-X hipsters and college kids.

I actually used to subscribe to Relevant's podcast and appreciated the discussions, commentaries, and interviews probing culture and faith, so when the current Director of Business Development of Synergy asked me to pen an article for submission last year, I happily agreed.

A couple of notes, the title of the article was a creation of the Relevant editorial staff. The title can come off as a little pompous, and I am certainly not a self-declared expert on living out faith in the workplace. Honestly, without a drop of modesty, it's really not a well written article (I can see my wife especially nodding in assent). It's sort of like that phenomenon when you listen to you own voice - read your own published writing and there's a twinge of embarrassment a'la "Man, couldn't I come up with a better analogy or phrase than that? My 6th grade book report on 'The Diary of Anne Frank' was more compelling."

But I'll take it, and cross it off my list of things to do before I die. Let's see what's next on the list... apparently something about stock-car driving...

2 comments:

nz said...

I didn't think it was that bad. Short, to the point. Good job. Now who is Gene Rayburn?

Suburban Family Guy said...

Thanks for the compliment. Gene Rayburn was the host of the Match Game, a game show popular in the late 70's. This is the sort of references you come up with occasionally when you have an older brother who grew up in the Happy Days / Laverne & Shirley era.